Sunday 21 July 2013

I'm molting, I'm moooolting

I'm a little late with this week's post, not that you'd notice, but I like to come clean anyway. We were out yesterday picking up some organically grown raspberries and blueberries. Yum!

Since raspberries seem to like to die a quick death, we had some in our salad last night, as well as for dessert.
black cherry chocolate gelato with fresh raspberries and chocolate syrup
The berries don't explain my post title though, does it? Well I decided to be self indulgent and make some whipped body butter. Maybe it's just me, but I find that the liquid soap at work to be quite drying and so I need something emollient to counteract that.

I had bought some cocoa butter and almond oil during my last trip to Otion, and have been wanting to make some body butter for a while now. Most of the recipes I read asked for the butter, plus two types of oils. Since I don't have any coconut oil on hand, I decided to use all almond oil instead. 

Rather than measure everything out separately, I used the tare option on my scale to zero out everytime. The only problem was, I poured in too much almond oil, and then not thinking, I turned off my scale. Oops, now I didn't know how much was too much. I just poured some of the oil back into the bottle and hoped for the best.

I think it turned out alright, I scented it with vanilla FO to keep the scent more pure. I think it turned out just fine and I have 4 jars of it. That should last me right through to winter and I'll smell lovely the whole time.

Have you made whipped body butter? What's your favourite type of butter and scent to use?

13 comments:

  1. I almost think the whipped body butter looks better than the berries! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. That's because you're comparing it to your berries Teresa. ;) Plus I took the picture of the body butter in a much brighter room, makes all the difference in the world.

      Delete
  2. Ditto what Teresa said...nothing better than fresh berries, and your body butter looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee! The berries are definitely tasty even if they don't look that way in the picture.

      The body butter feels so good and I love smelling mildly of chocolate afterwards. Course that could explain why I've been eating everything in sight too. ;)

      Delete
  3. Interesting,I haven't whipped cocoa butter,only shea. I love whipped shea,but now I want to try some cocoa,too. I think you did great with liquid oil only, coconut o.would probably give you too hard final butter.
    By the way, I don't put any fragrance in mine (sometimes just lavender e.o.),because I use it only at night. I'm also interested in lotion making and planning to start making them. I think I will put f.o. in those,because they're lighter and perfect for daily application!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maja! I was drawn to the cocoa butter because it smelled os good. 8) My body butter did end up getting quite hard, so I'm not sure if I should try whipping it with some more almond oil again or not.

      Lavendar's a lovely night time fragrance, I hear it helps with sleeping so you're very smart to use it in your body butter. I hope you'll be posting about your lotions when you start making them.

      Delete
  4. I haven't made any body butter yet, thanks for your sharing your experience, Monica! I use coconut oil on my skin, love its natural fragrance too!
    I am dreaming of your fresh berries now, I will have to buy some and make some ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut oil is amazing isn't it Nat? Do you use the oil as a moisturizer or a cleanser?

      Did you make your ice cream? That's a fabulous way to use fruit. I'm too lazy and just end up eating the fruit on its own.

      Delete
  5. Almond oil is one of my favorites. It always makes my skin feel so silky. I've made whipped butter using shea and mango but haven't made any recently (not in a couple years). What did you think of the almond oil in comparison to coconut, do you like it?

    The pix of your raspberries reminded me that I forgot to pick at the farm. I rushed out there and they were all gone :( I'll have to remember next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The almond oil is really luxurious. I would love to try shea and mango butter as well, thanks for the great idea Michelle! I've never used coconut oil, so unfortunately I can't do a comparison, but I would love to try that next.

      How about frozen raspberries instead? I know it's not the same, but at least you'd get to taste some. It's still somewhat raspberry season here, at least in dad's yard.

      Delete
  6. Your body butter looks great, Monica! I haven't tried to make any myself, but it sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! It's great because it's so easy to make and it's better than any commercially made product. Now I just have to stop sniffing myself when I put it on or people might call the men in the white jackets to come and pick me up. :D

      Delete