Friday 20 January 2012

Happy Birthday Robbie Burns

Living in Greater Vancouver is great. It is so multicultural here that you're bound to find foods of almost any ethnicity, along with a few fusion cuisines that are made specifically for this region.

Case in point:  Chinese New Year is Monday, January 23 and Robbie Burns Day is January 25. The two dates and events are totally unrelated, and yet, a Chinese Vancouverite has managed to make the two dates into one celebration with his event, Gung Haggis Fat Choy. Todd Wong, aka Toddish McWong has been celebrating this event for 15 years now, and it looks to be growing all the time. I personally haven't had a chance to try it out, although I have tried haggis (needed salt), but one of these days, I'm going to have to go just to see how Scottish fare makes Chinese food taste.

I was hoping to be able to post a link to the segment from the morning news show where Todd shows the fusion food, but it's not up yet, but if it comes up later, I'll add the link. In the meantime, here's what he had to say about it on his site.

http://www.gunghaggis.com/

2 comments:

  1. I tried to post a comment earlier today but the internet wouldn't let me load the blog, and the iPhone mysteriously killed the page when I tried to comment using the Twitter link. Grrrrr

    Anyway, I was saying that I'd love to go try this with you if I lived in Vancouver! I wish he had this before I moved.

    I can't believe I went to Scotland and never had haggis there. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of htese days you guys will have to come back in time for Chinese New Year so we can try this out. You can always have haggis when you come here next, there's a store in N. Van that sells it.

    ReplyDelete