Thursday 20 October 2011

Baking Season

Fall is that time of year when I want to bake. Okay, I want to bake quite often, but in the fall and winter is when I especially want a warm, nice smelling kitchen. Bon Appetit tweeted the other day an apple galette based on the one by Chez Panisse. It looked so good, I just had to try it.

I had a couple of nectarines left over that were as hard as a baseball, so I figured they would make a good substitute for the apples. Other modifications included using the jam I had in my fridge rather than using the apricot preserves as suggested, and adding a dose of apricot brandy along with brown sugar to sweeten up the tasteless nectarines.

For some reason I couldn't roll the dough into a circle. And no, I hadn't been imbibing prior. 

Folded in the ends. Guess I should've paid more attention to the picture they had to see how it's done.

Fresh out of the oven
 I think if I had made it to their specifications, it would've been great. As it was, I didn't fold up the dough well enough and ended up with a bit of a mess in the oven. Good thing there's no smoke alarm in the kitchen,

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks pretty danged tasty to me! Very healthful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty tasty, I could've done without the smoke filling the kitchen though. ;>

    ReplyDelete